Saturday, November 8, 2008

14 Meals in 2 Days

I finally convinced myself to try the Once A Month cooking strategy. With the upcoming holidays and busyness around the corner, I wanted to help simplify the "what's for supper" question. I went totally by the book's two-week plan. Most recipes were new to me. I did all my shopping one night. Then, the next 2 days were all day cooking.

What a sense of accomplishment I felt after stocking our small freezer in the shed with 14 homemade meals! No more last minute eating out at fast food restaurants. I want to be more frugal...with our money and my time.

First meal a 1* rating from the boys and I. Yuck...mushy rice! I forgot to read all the tips and no instant rice for freezing as it will become mushy! It's true. I was so... disappointed thinking...did I spend all this money and time and nothing is going to turn out? Or, will my family even like the new recipes? Kudos for them for saying they are willing to try that many "new" recipes! 5 stars is as high as our rating system goes. The Mexican Stroganoff, our second meal is a keeper...yummy! "Mom can you make this every day?!"...Caden*****
Dad..."what kind of meat is this?" Caden said, "Dad it's NOT meat, it's STEAK!"
Cameron said, "I know it's gonna be a 5*...(bite)...yep...it's a 5* from me. mmmm!"
Hope at last!!

Mexican Stroganoff


Recipe:

2 pounds of round steak 2 tsp. seasoned salt
1 cup finely chopped onion 1 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves) 1 8-ounce can mushroom stems, drained
2 tbs. vegetable oil 1 8-ounce carton sour cream
1/3 cup red wine vinegar 3 tbs. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups water 1 12-ounce pkg. wide egg noodles
1/2 cup chili sauce
1 tbs. paprika
1 tbs. chili powder

Cut steak into bite-size pieces. Cook and stir steak, onion and garlic in oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until brown. Drain off oil. Stir vinegar, water, chili sauce, paprika, chili powder, seasoned salt, soy sauce and mushrooms into steak mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour until meat is tender.

Cook egg noodles according to pkg. directions. Stir sour cream and flour together; combine with stroganoff. Heat to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer and stir about 1 minute. Serve stroganoff over noodles. 6-8 servings.

Enjoy!

No comments: